Research in our lab is focussed on understanding the molecules that regulate synaptic function. We are especially interested in understanding how Cell Adhesion Molecules regulate synaptic development and function.
The current research in the lab involves uncovering the mechanism of function of a Neuronal Immunoglobulin domain containing Cell Adhesion Molecule called RIG-3 at the synapse. Our lab is also interested in understanding how claudins function in the nervous system.
We use C. elegans as the model system to study aspects of synaptic function. Experiments in our lab include C. elegans behavioral assays, genetics, RNA interference (RNAi) assays and live imaging experiments.
- Pallavi Sharma*, Lei Li*, Haowen Liu, Vina Tikiyani, Zhitao Hu© and *Kavita Babu©* (2018); The Claudin-like protein, HPO-30, is required to maintain LAChRs at the *Caenorhabditis elegans* neuromuscular junction. *The Journal of Neuroscience *(*in press*)*.*
- Ashwani Bhardwaj*, Saurabh Thapliyal*, Yogesh Dahiya and *Kavita Babu©*; FLP-18 functions through the G-protein coupled receptors NPR-1 and NPR-4 to modulate reversal length in *Caenorhabditis elegans. The **Journal of Neuroscience *2018 May 16; 38(20): 4641-54*.*
- Shruti Thapliyal, Shruthi Ravindranath and *Kavita Babu©*; Regulation of glutamate signaling in the sensorimotor circuit by CASY-1A/Calsyntenin in *Caenorhabditis elegans*. *Genetics *2018 Apr 01; 208(4): 1553-64.
- Shruti Thapliyal, Amruta Vasudevan*, Yongming Dong*, Jihong Bai, Sandhya P. Koushika and *Kavita Babu©*; The C-terminal of CASY-1/Calsyntenin regulates GABAergic synaptic transmission at the *Caenorhabditis elegans* neuromuscular junction*. PLoS Genetics *2018 Mar; 14(3): e1007236.
- Pandey, P., Bhardwaj, A. and Babu K. (2017) Regulation of WNT Signaling at the Neuromuscular Junction by the Immunoglobulin Super-Family Protein RIG-3 in *Caenorhabditis elegans. **Genetics* 2017 Jul 01; 206(3): 1521-34.
- Babu, K., Hu, Z., Chien, S-C., Garriga, G. and Kaplan, J.M. (2011) The Immunoglobulin super family protein RIG-3 prevents synaptic potentiation and regulates Wnt signaling. Neuron 2011 Jul 14; 71(1):103-16.
- Hu, Z.*, Pym, E.C.G.*, Babu, K.*, Vahlishan Murray, A.B.* and Kaplan, J.M. (2011) A neuropeptide-mediated stretch response links muscle contraction to changes in pre-synaptic release of neurotransmitter. Neuron 2011 Jul 14; 71(1):92-102. * Equal contribution.
- Babu, K., Bahri, S., Alphey, L. and Chia, W. (2005) Bifocal and PP1 interaction regulates targeting of the R-cell growth cone in Drosophila. Dev Biol 2005 Dec 15; 288(2): 372-86. Corresponding author.
- Babu, K., Cai, Y., Bahri, S. and Chia, W. (2004) Roles of Bifocal, Homer and F-actin in anchoring Oskar to the posterior cortex of Drosophila oocytes. Genes Dev. 2004 Jan 15; 18(2): 138-43.
- Helps, N.R.*, Cohen, P.T., Bahri, S.M., Chia, W. and Babu, K.* (2001) Interaction with protein phosphatase 1 Is essential for bifocal function during the morphogenesis of the Drosophila compound eye. Mol Cell Biol. 2001 Mar: 21(6): 2154-64. * Equal contribution.