Research Area: Condensed Matter Theory : Soft and Biological Matter
The aim of our group is to understand the physical properties of biological and soft condensed matter systems that are driven out of equilibrium. We use both analytical approaches (Equilibrium and Non-equilibrium Statistical Mechanics, Hydrodynamics) and computational methods (Molecular Dynamics, Brownian Dynamics, Monte Carlo) to investigate the dynamics of systems ranging from the cell membrane and the cell cytoskeleton to polymers and colloids in confinement.
The cell is an active dynamical medium, constantly generating and dissipating energy to sustain the various life processes. It is subject to active stresses arising from a meshwork of filaments (cell cytoskeleton), which is driven out of equilibrium. We use an active hydrodynamics approach for the coupled dynamics of these filaments and the motor proteins to determine the organization of molecules on the cell surface. We study the consequences of such organization on signalling platforms and the uptake of material by the cell.
In soft condensed matter, our aim is to understand the emergent properties of colloids and polymers in confinement or otherwise, when they are subjected to time dependent external drives.
We are also interested in studying transport properties in general. More specifically we have been studying the problem of heat transport using non-equilibrium simulations and direct numerical evaluations of current given in terms of phonon Green's function.
- Abhishek Chaudhuri, Bhaswati Bhattacharya, Kripa Gowrishankar, Satyajit Mayor and Madan Rao Spatiotemporal regulation of chemical reaction kinetics of cell surface molecules by active remodeling of cortical actin, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 108, 14825 (2011).
- Abhishek Chaudhuri, Giuseppe Battaglia and Ramin Golestanian Effect of interactions on the cellular uptake of nanoparticles, Phys. Biol. 8, 046002 (2011) Selected as highlights of 2011 in Physical Biology.
- Jack Cohen, Abhishek Chaudhuri and Ramin Golestanian Active polymer translocation through flickering pores, Phys. Rev. Lett. 107, 238102 (2011).
- Abhishek Chaudhuri, Anupam Kundu, Dibyendu Roy, Abhishek Dhar, Joel L. Lebowitz and Herbert Spohn Heat transport and phonon localization in mass-disordered harmonic crystals, Phys. Rev. B. 81, 064301 (2010).
- Abhishek Chaudhuri, Surajit Sengupta and Madan Rao, Stress relaxation in a perfect nanocrystal by coherent ejection of lattice layers, Phys. Rev. Lett. 95, 266103 (2005).