My research involves the discovery, synthesis, and single crystal growth of new and/or improved strongly correlated materials with potentially novel electronic, magnetic and thermal properties.
These materials and behaviors include (i) Heavy Fermion, mixed valent and Kondo lattice compounds, (ii) Quantum spin systems, (iii) Frustrated/ low-dimensional magnets, (iv) Conventional and unconventional superconductors, and (v) Charge density wave materials. Characterization of these materials using x-ray diffraction, magnetization, magnetic susceptibility, specific heat, electronic transport, thermal analysis and high pressure measurements, is then undertaken to understand, e.g., the electronic structure and magnetic properties of new superconductors and strongly correlated insulators and metals, and structure property relationship in these materials.
My current interest is in (i) magnetically low-dimensional and frustrated transition metal oxides which have the potential of showing new quantum ground states, (ii) novel ground states in 5d transition metal oxides arising from an interplay between electronic correlations, spin-orbit coupling, and lattice topology, (iii) new kinds of quantum phase transitions in proximity to charge density waves, and (iv) the study of strongly correlated materials in reduced geometries like thin films and/or nano-particle form. .
- Multigap superconductivity and Shubnikov-de Haas oscillations in single crystals of the layered boride OsB2, Yogesh Singh, C. Martin, S. L. Bud'ko, A. Ellern, R. Prozorov, and D. C. Johnston, Phys. Rev. B 82, 144532 (2010); (14 pages).
- Antiferromagnetic Mott insulating state in single crystals of the honeycomb lattice material Na2IrO3, Yogesh Singh and P. Gegenwart, Phys. Rev. B 82, 064412 (2010); (7 pages)
- Structural, magnetic, thermal, and electronic transport properties of single-crystal EuPd2Sb2, S. Das, K. McFadden, Yogesh Singh, R. Nath, A. Ellern, and D. C. Johnston, Phys. Rev. B 81, 054425 (2010); (7 pages).
- Magnetic order in BaMn2As2 from neutron diffraction measurements, Yogesh Singh, M. A. Green, Q. Huang, A. Kreyssig, R. J. McQueeney, D. C. Johnston, and A. I. Goldman, Phys. Rev. B 80, 100403(R) (2009); (4 pages).
- Vortex dynamics and frustration in two-dimensional triangular chromium lattices, M. Hemmida, H.-A. Krug von Nidda, N. Bttgen, A. Loidl, L. K. Alexander, R. Nath, A. V. Mahajan, R. F. Berger, R. J. Cava, Yogesh Singh, and D. C. Johnston, Phys. Rev. B; 80, 054406 (2009); (5 pages)