INDIAN INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE EDUCATION & RESEARCH, MOHALI
Assistant Professor (Biology) &
Wellcome -DBT Intermediate Fellow
Knowledge city, Sector 81, SAS Nagar,
Manauli PO 140306
Web: My Webpage
Research Area: Hematopoiesis, Cardiogenesis and Molecular pathways in stem and progenitor cell development in Drosophila.
Stem cells are the source of virtually all highly differentiated cells that are replenished during the lifetime of an animal. The critical balance between stem and differentiated cell populations is crucial for the long-term maintenance of functional tissue types. A microenvironment that is supportive of stem cells is commonly referred to as a stem cell niche. We have previously identified a hematopoietic niche within the Drosophila larvae. Due to the limited access of mammalian hemtopoietic niche this amenable system will allow us to unravel molecular regulation of stem cell progenitors and its relation with the niche. The power of Drosophila as a model organism is very well established, most notably its genetics and developmental biology. Taking advantage of these strengths our group aims to find novel genes and mechanisms controlling hematopoietic progenitors cell specification and differentiation. Given the high degree of conservation of blood development between Drosophila and the vertebrates, we hope that the ability to manipulate the function of such genes in Drosophila would aid in understanding function and dysfunction in human hematopoiesis.
- Dey N S, Ramesh P, Chugh M, Mandal S, Mandal L. Dpp dependent Hematopoietic stem cells give rise to the hh dependent blood progenitors in larval lymph gland of Drosophila. eLife, 2016, 10.7554/eLife.18295.
- Ghosh S, Singh A, Mandal S, Mandal L. Active Hematopoietic Hubs in Drosophila Adults generate hemocytes and contribute to immune response. Developmental Cell, 2015, 33: 478-488.
- Mondal BC, Mukherjee T, Mandal L, Evans CJ, Sinenko SA, Martinez-Agosto JA, Banerjee U. Interaction between differentiating cell- and niche-derived signals in hematopoietic progenitor maintenance. Cell. 2011 Dec 23;147(7):1589-600. Joint First author.
- Mukherjee T, Kim WS, Mandal L, Banerjee U. Interaction between Notch and Hif-alpha in development and survival of Drosophila blood cells. Science. 2011 Jun 3;332(6034):1210-3.
- Sinenko SA, Mandal L, Martinez-Agosto JA, Banerjee U. Dual role of wingless signaling in stem-like hematopoietic precursor maintenance in Drosophila. Developmental Cell. 2009 May; 16(5): 756-63.
- Lolitika Mandal, Julian Martinez-Agosto, Cory Evans, Volker Hartenstein, Utpal Banerjee. A Hedgehog- and Antennapedia-dependent niche maintains Drosophila haematopoietic precursors. Nature. 2007 Mar 15; 446(7133): 320-4.
- Lolitika Mandal, Utpal Banerjee and Volker Hartenstein Evidence for a fruit fly hemangioblast and similarities between lymph-gland hematopoiesis in fruit fly and mammal aorta-gonadal-mesonephros mesoderm. Nature Genetics. 2004 Sep;36(9): 1019-23.
back to faculty page