INDIAN INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE EDUCATION & RESEARCH, MOHALI
Knowledge city, Sector 81, SAS Nagar,
Manauli PO 140306
Research Area: Mathematical and Computational Biology
Broad area of research: Theoretical biology, nonlinear dynamics and complex systems with a view to understand the logic & design of biological processes.
Brief description: Our interest is to analyse the evolution and maintenance of spatiotemporal organization in biological systems spanning multiple spatiotemporal scales - from ecological to genetic. Along with mathematical modelling, we also perform computational analysis of genomes and protein sequences to extract structural, functional and evolutionary information.
Specifically, we have studied -
- protein structure-function using Protein Contact Networks;
- host-parasite coevolution from pathogen genome analysis;
- evolution of metabolic pathways using comparative genomics;
- metabolic pathway analysis using graph theory and optimisation techniques;
- regulatory processes in biochemical pathways, and gene circuits;
- collective behaviour in multi-cell systems using physical principles;
- dynamics of single and interacting populations under ecological processes; and
- disease prevalence in population using mathematical and statistical modelling.
We are also interested in studying general principles of controlling dynamics and synchronisation in biological
Differential Trends in the Codon Usage Patterns in HIV-1 Genes. Aridaman Pandit, Somdatta Sinha. PLoS ONE. 2011, 6(12): e28889. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0028889
Stability of synchronization in a multi-cellular system. Suma Ghosh, G. Rangarajan, Somdatta Sinha. Europhysics Letter 2010, 92. 40012..
- Delay-Induced Transient Increase and Heterogeneity in Gene Expression in Negatively Auto-regulated Gene Circuits. R Maithreye, R R Sarkar, V K Parnaik, Somdatta Sinha. PLoS ONE 2008, 3(8): e2972 doi:10.1371/ journal.pone. 0002972.
- Assortative mixing in Protein Contact Networks and protein folding kinetics. Ganesh Bagler; Somdatta Sinha.
Bioinformatics, 2007, doi:0.1093/bioinformatics/btm257.
- Unusual Dynamics of Extinction in a Simple Ecological Model. Somdatta Sinha, Parthasarathy, S. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. (USA) 1996, 93, pp 1504 -1508.
back to faculty page